Roleplaying For Dummiz
Hey! Not a member yet of Roleplaying for Dummiz? Join! Already a member? They log-in you silly goose! ^_^
Roleplaying For Dummiz
Hey! Not a member yet of Roleplaying for Dummiz? Join! Already a member? They log-in you silly goose! ^_^
Roleplaying For Dummiz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying for Dummiz is a simple site to express your feelings and thoughts through writings, and through other people! Here you can Roleplay from a tremendous amount of Catergories, and along the way you will be sure to make new friends! Just have fun!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Creating Characters && The Difference Between Literate and Non-Literate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShaylaJeanyJeen
Admin
Admin
ShaylaJeanyJeen

Creating Characters && The Difference Between Literate and Non-Literate Empty
PostSubject: Creating Characters && The Difference Between Literate and Non-Literate   Creating Characters && The Difference Between Literate and Non-Literate I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Creating Characters is one of the most important, and really just one of the most fun things when you roleplay. Usually a Roleplay will have a specified Skelly(Skeleton) saying everything and anything you need to include about your character.

Skeleton: A form, or 'skeleton' roleplayers use to create characters. usually you will copy and paste the skelly onto your post and fill out all the information given. However there are a few things that I require in a Skeleton; Name, Age, Gender, Personality, history, and Looks. Those are the basics, but people can go much deeper, such as in Literate Role Plays.

When creating a character you use your imagination to it's fullest, you have to figure out many things and go through many steps.

Picking a Name && The General Info.

I won't settle with common names like George and Sara. No, I love names that you don't hear often, names that a beautiful and fun to listen to. However I don't come up with these myself so I use my browser to find name sites. (A few I like to use are Behind The Name and Meaning of The Names ) So, for my character I'm going to pick the Name Kaiser. He will be 21, and a male who always seems to be a hero to the ladies in need.

Now after I figure out a simple explanation of him; I can go into more detail. The Personality and history is very difficult if you want to make it realistic. I always ask myself the fallowing questions when I want to figure out how to create this character.

How will he act towards others?
How will he respond to others?
How does he feel about himself?
What or who does he like?
What or who doesn't he like?
How will be when he's close to someone?
How will he be when he's interacting with a stranger?
How does he express his emotions?

After asking myself these questions and successfully answering them I'm ready to construct his personality. Now I will give you an example, but I am a Literate write, and by Literate I mean very literate. I don't expect you to write in such detail, or in such length, even though this isn't my best work.

Example:

Kaiser is an exceptionable guy. He can be quite rude and obnoxious to anybody he "doesn't like". He always judges people quickly, he won't even talk to you before he knows if he wants to know you. Although with the ladies he's always there when their in need; and he just can't seem to keep his hands off some. Deep inside though, theres a different man, a man no ones been able to get out. He keeps his personal thoughts, enriching feelings and anything else he finds worthy of keeping a secret to himself. Lately he's been finding himself attracted to needy girls; just like his mother. He's never loved a girl, although he's said it, but he hasn't found his type just yet. Kaiser is still finding himself so it's hard to determine how he'll act.

The history is very similar. I recommend you put detail into the History though so people can picture your character! You have to ask yourselves what you want people to know; and what you want people to find out. The fallowing questions may be found helpful for you.

What was his relationship with his family?
How did he feel about himself when he was young?
What was the hardest thing he went through?
How have his experiences changed?
How did he approach things that required work; Occupations, school.
How did he get along with other kids?
How did he get along with other adults?
What or who did he like?
What or who didn't he like?
What does he wish he did different?

Once again my Literate Example.

Example:

Kaiser grew up under his fathers shadow, his mother never seemed to notice that Kaiser needed things too. Kaiser loved his father very much, and instead of realizing his mother was going through many changes he though there must have been something wrong with him. He spent most of his childhood trying to figure it out; not knowing his mother was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Kaiser didn't understand anything happening in his parents life, so he built his own structure and started being very independent. However it was soon found out that Kaiser's mother's situation was much worse, she started threatening Kaiser's father that she was going to kill herself. Soon it was found that she was actually a woman suffering with Borderline Personality Disorder; making her very deponent on her husband. One night, when Kaiser was deep asleep his father got angry with his mother, Karen. He told her to go to bed and take her pills, but that morning he had coincidently gave her an extra does, creating the death of his wife the next day. Going to jail for Man-Slaughter, Kaiser, then 17, was on his own.

Looks is another difficult thing to comprehend. Many times people will include the hair color, eye color, skin color, ect. Usually I think about the fallowing things.

Face features; eyes, nose, eyebrows, mouth, ears, cheeks, and coloration.
Body Features; Muscle tone, skin color, bone size, height weight.
Hair; color, length, texture, style.
Clothing; clothing style.

Usually you can post a picture along with a description, in some your required to give a height and weight. I suggest you use this Height and Weight Chart! Smile

Example:

Kaiser's hair is a deep almond color and cut short and choppy, as if by a child. He's very tell, and is skinny for his height. He weighs a mere 160 pounds and raising about 6 feet tall. His skin is pale and bland, always dry which bothers him very much. He has large feet and hands, and doesn't really have a style. He'll wear what ever is necessary. (Getting tired of this topic. . =_=) Ect, ect.

Literate && Non-Literate

You may be noticing I keep saying Liter or non-literate. . well for those who don't know what is is let me tell you!

Literate and Non-Literate are types of Roleplays, more like levels.

Literate: Literate roleplays are more complex, detailed and time consuming roleplays. Usually it's for the experienced write and uses an assortment of adjectives for all their nouns, and many adverbs for their verbs! Sentences are most likely 10-20 sentences long.

Semi-Literate: Is right is the middle with interesting words but 5-10 sentences long.

Non-Literate: Is the smallest amount of words you can use in a sentence, most likely 1-5 sentences.

It's a good thing to place "Literate, Semi-Li, or Non-Lil" on the top of your Roleplay or in the title so people know what to expect. This is required, so make sure you choose one of them! Very Happy

Thanks for reading -- and feel free to ask any questions if your uncertain about something!
-Shayla

Back to top Go down
https://roleplayingfordummiz.rpg-board.net

Creating Characters && The Difference Between Literate and Non-Literate
Page 1 of 1